I love ForImpact.org‘s W.O.W. emails. I read this just after writing yesterday’s post Fundraising Secret #1. It definitely fits!
Read it and prosper:
Last week Tom and I were with a Benedictine prep school in New
Jersey. We were discussing the importance of focusing on top
prospects in the development plan when one of the board members asked
“What type of results should we expect if we visit with each of our
top 100 prospects?”
Being the ‘helpful outsider’, I gave that wonderfully ambiguous
answer: “It depends.”
After thinking for a moment I was able to offer an epiphany that was
a bit more insightful…
I’ve never been with an organization which made a commitment to
focus on its top 10 prospects that wasn’t completely and totally
transformed (in ways beyond funding results).
That’s a long-winded epiphany — I will restate: If you
focus on your top 10 prospects it will transform your organization
This is a simple (not easy) idea that changes everything.
The secondary epiphany is that most organizations gloss over their
top 10 prospects to make selective visits with prospects 11-100 (if
and when they’re making visits).
Why aren’t more organizations transformed by their top 10?
- They don’t stop to ask the question, "Who are our top 10
- It’s easier to focus on prospects 11-100.
- They give up on the top 10 at the first sign of uncertainty. (eg.
“The prospect did not return our phone call. she must not be
- They have not yet committed to ‘sales’ and are therefore not out
- They have ‘top of the pyramid’ call reluctance because:
- They can’t communicate the vision/mission/message.
- They haven’t been trained to sell and therefore fear
messing it up.
- Make a commitment today to focus your energy on your top 10
- Make a commitment to visit with them, share the story, and present
the opportunity within the next year.
- Don’t back down from this commitment*.
- E-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org) on August 13, 2008 with your
transformational success story. I would be equally interested (and
very surprised) to hear from you if you truly made this commitment and
weren’t wildly successful in your funding efforts.
*If you have encounter any of the challenges above join us at a training
camp to remove the challenges [more powerful than a plug; it’s a
statement of action].
For more W.O.W. emails and funding ideas check outwww.forimpact.org.