I’d argue this is especially true for fundraisers. People don’t really get what we do. And when we’re successful, the bar gets raised!
Either way, it’s like killing the proverbial goose that lays the golden eggs in hopes of getting more gold. It just kills the goose and stops the eggs.
So Valentine’s Day seemed like a great excuse for this month’s Nonprofit Blog Carnival to share ideas on how we as fundraisers need to take care of ourself.
Here is the Nonprofit Blog Carnival roundup
- My own entry was a Valentines Day card for fundraisers including a link to a thank you video I recorded last June.
- Joanne Fritz from About.com tied Kermit together with Girl Scout cookies in her Causes. Caring, and Community — Plus Kermit. In this post, she says, “Each organization had its own version of a pressure cooker…” and reminds us that caring for the cause itself is transformative for us.
- Gayle Thorsen goes beyond the great ideas of wine and yoga–both great ideas in my opinion–to a full five more ways to take care of yourself and your team! To self (and staff): Great job!
- Lori Jacobwith shares how health issues last year helped her put 9 forms of self-care into the practice. Great tips, even involving Outlook! Taking Care of Ourselves
- Over at OpportunityKnocks.org, Sam Davidson has a great post on not letting your nonprofit job crush your soul. Don’t Let Your Nonprofit Job Crush Your Soul
- Margaux Smith has a great post over at 101Fundraising.org encouraging us to get away from your desk and reminding yourself why! Get Away from Your Desk and Remind Yourself WHY
- David Yamada points us to an article by Michael Bader about the causes of burnout and a call to an ethic of self-care. Burnout in the Non-Profit Sector
As a bonus, check out the 11 steps for having fun at work! 11 Ways to Motivate Employees and Make Fun at Work. It’s from the “Chief Effective Officer” at blinds.com! I figure if blinds people know how to take care of themselves, surely there’s a lesson for us! 🙂
What ways do YOU take care of yourself?
Tell us here in the comments!
Katya Andresen is hosting next month’s Nonprofit Blog Carnival. Check out her call for submissions at http://www.nonprofitmarketingblog.com/site/picture_this_your_brilliance_here